02 Feb SKILLET CORN BREAD WITH CHILI SAUCE AND CHIVES
1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
¾ cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
2 absolutely level teaspoons baking powder
½ level teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon good honey
1 teaspoon hot chili sauce
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
¼ minced bell pepper – any color you desire
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In bowl of a food processor, put flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and process briefly to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, buttermilk, honey and chili sauce. Add chives and pepper, and then stir in flour and cornmeal mixture.
- Briefly heat a buttered 8-inch black iron skillet, then pour in corn bread batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a plate and cut into wedges. Serve immediately with butter.