21 Jan Grilled Flank Steak with Mushroom Sauce
GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE ©copyright – all rights reserved m.arthur
2 Flank steaks – 1-1/4 pounds each
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- Put all ingredients in blender and emulsify thoroughly.
- Pour marinade into 2 zip lock bags. Add flank steaks and using a drinking straw, suck the air out of the bag or pushing air out with your hands.
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound mushrooms, brushed and wiped and sliced – do not wash
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 teaspoons coarse-ground mustard
½ cup heavy cream – more if needed at end of cooking
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup beef stock
- To prepare sauce: melt butter with oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix beef stock into mushroom mixture and both mustards.
- Increase heat to high and boil until reduced by 1/3, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in cream and boil until sauce coats a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add more cream if sauce reduces too much.
- Grill flank steak for 4 minutes on each side for medium-raw. Do not overcook – we want this to be medium-rare.
- Slice on an angle very thinly and serve with mushroom sauce.