23 Jan Chicken Nuggets with Asian Coconut and Plum Sauce
CHICKEN NUGGETS WITH ASIAN COCONUT AND PLUM SAUCE
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about2-1/2 lbs.)
Vegetable oil for frying
3 large eggs
½ cup milk
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 – 7-ounce package Asian shredded coconut (not sweet kind)
Plum Sauce (from Truffles and Trifles)
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Beat eggs in a bowl; add milk, flour and make a batter using a flat whisk.
- Using 3 separate dishes or bowls the same size – have one bowl with flour, one with batter and one with coconut. Using your 2 hands – one for rolling in flour, and using a wooden skewer, stab chicken nugget and dip completely in batter. Drop in coconut and using clean hand, gently top and pat with Asian coconut. Chicken should be thoroughly coated with batter and coconut.
- Drop each piece into oil and fry in batches without crowding, turning often, until golden, about 4-5 minutes or less.
- Serve on platter with plum sauce and fancy toothpicks.
Note: These appetizers can be made ahead and frozen. Defrost and fry.
Makes 4 dozen.
Deep fryer or deep skillet Measuring cups – wet & dry
3 matching bowls Flat whisk
Skewer or long toothpicks for dipping
Serving platter Bowl for plum sauce