02 Feb BLUE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
¾ cup room temperature butter (1-1/2 sticks) – take butter out 30 minutes before using to allow it to come to room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs (beat with a fork)
2 teaspoons fast-acting baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen)
½ cup blueberry pie filling
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour
½ cup milk
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
¼ cup softened butter (1/2 stick)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put rack in the middle of oven.
- Spray muffin cups with Pam.
- Melt butter. In bowl of electric mixer, add butter and beat until fluffy, then add sugar and mix well. Add beaten eggs, baking powder, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Put 1 tablespoon of flour with fresh or frozen blueberries in large zip lock bag. Shake gently to coat blueberries, and leave them in bag.
- Add half the 1 cup of flour and ¼ cup of milk to mixer and just barely combine, then add remaining of flour and milk and mix thoroughly.
- Add ½ cup of blueberry pie filling to mixture and mix in. (Dough will turn blue) When dough is thoroughly mixed – hand fold in blueberries from zip lock with rubber spatula .
- Fill muffin cups ¾ filled and set aside.
- Make crumb topping: Mix sugar and flour in small bowl and then add softened butter and cut in with a fork or pastry blender, until crumbly. (You can also use food processor but make sure butter is hard).
- Sprinkle topping over muffins and bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. If using convection, cut time by a third. When muffins have finished baking, cool on a rack for about 15 minutes. Serve warm. You can also make blueberry bread but you will have to add time.