02 Feb BEST BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¾ to 1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Into a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Pour ingredients into a food processor, add the pieces of butter, add ¾ cup of buttermilk slowly while pulsing until mixture becomes a ball – you can add more buttermilk if needed.
- Put ball on a lightly floured surface and gently knead just until dough is formed. Pat into a round with your hands, about 1-inch thick. With a floured 2-inch cutter, cut out rounds. Do not twist cutter when cutting – straight down cut and straight back up.
- Transfer biscuits to a parchment covered baking sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with cream.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden. If using convection oven use less time – about 6 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 12 biscuits.