02 Feb APRICOT BRIOCHE
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ cup lukewarm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup minced dried apricots
2 large eggs
- In bowl of electric mixer, fitted with dough hook, combine yeast, sugar and water.
- Stir to dissolve and allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes, until bubbles form. Add cooled melted butter, salt, flour, apricots, and eggs, and mix with dough hook until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Place dough in a large buttered bowl, cover with a tea towel, and allow to rise until dough is doubled in size, 1 to 1-1/2 hours, no longer.
- Punch dough down and shape into loaf and place in a buttered 6-cup loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bake brioche for 25 minutes until golden. Turn out of pan and cool before sliced.
*I love a little butter and good preserves on a slice of brioche. This brings back dreamy memories of France.